29 March 2009

road trip!






I did it! Well, no, not really, I didn't do it, my BigSis did: I was along for the ride as Comic Relief, so it can be said that we did do it, and we were finally happy to have finished it: a great road trip in the smallest UHaul (10-ft truck), from New York to Miami; successfully, without event, and avoiding the (last?) great snow storm in the East Coast while we were at it.

Here are some shots of Spring in the City right before we took off. Sad to say, the road trip is not really a visually appealing kind of experience: driving down the 95-Interstate Freeway, one can only see more of the same: between long stretches of nothing there's redundant signage of Rest Areas and more of nothing along the way.

Besides, driving a UHaul takes quite a bit of concentration - which my sister thought would be a snap to do. I would never have even dared to think of doing it, but she sounded so convincing, that I took her up on it. And she did great! She is my new SuperHero: the WonderWoman to my WanderWoman, the yin to my yang, the Tweedledum to my Fiddledeedee.

We went from New York to never thinking we'd get out of New Jersey, to overnighting in Virginia, and then visiting in South Carolina, and getting all the way down to the beginnings of Florida (stayed over at Palm Coast, because, well, we'd never been to a SuperTarget before), and then arriving in Miami well before the limit of days or mileage allotted by UHaul.

I'd say we bonded, but my sister was awfully quiet: I found out later she was regretting ever having that enthusiastic (some call it 'manic') moment about driving the UHaul just like it's the old ClubWagon - which she snuck out on more than one occasion, as she was learning to drive.

it's not the motorcycle diaries, but it was what I called 'a virgin voyage' ;-)


No comments: